President Muhammadu Buhari has again vowed that his regime will flush out bandits from the country.
 
Buhari gave the assurance on Friday when the Nigerian Government delegation paid a visit to Governor Aminu Tambuwal over the killings of 23 travellers by suspected bandits.

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement by Muhammad Bello, Special Adviser to the governor on Media and Publicity, on Saturday in Sokoto, the President’s condolence message was delivered through National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (retd).
 
The statement red, “Mr President views the occurrence as unfortunate series of developments in which very innocent lives have been lost.
“Every life of a citizen is important; it gives great concern to the president that lives are being lost in inhuman conditions.
“Mr President is conveying his profound condolence over the loss of all the citizens who have departed.
"He also wants us to express his deep sympathy as well as his determination that the perpetrators of these gruesome, wicked activities are apprehended and brought to book.
“Mr President is deeply troubled that fellow citizens had to go through this trauma. He has charged to make sure that all the relevant agencies do not rest until we are able to flush out the perpetrators of not just these last two incidents that occurred, but also previous incidents.
“Each of the top security chief in the country is here, an indication that Mr President wants us to address this issue in order to provide comfort to the people of Sokoto State.”
In his response, the Sokoto governor said they were in the appalling grip of bandits and kidnappers marauding and scaring the populace in recent times.
 
The governor said the situation was exacerbated by the influx of bandits and criminals displaced by the ongoing “Operation Hadarin Daji,” to end the nefarious activities in neighbouring Zamfara.
 
He said, “This has left Sokoto State vulnerable to the deadly and inhuman activities of criminal elements.
 
“The consequences of Operation Hadarin Daji have resulted, before now and in the last four days in broad daylight attacks and kidnappings occurred in parts of Isa, Sabon Birni, Tangaza, Illela and other local government areas of the state.
 
“The timing of the operation might not be conducive as security agents might not have enough equipment to move and contain those that moved to Sokoto State.
 
“So the timing and way the operation was being carried out left Sokoto vulnerable.”
 
Governor Tambuwal had earlier confirmed that 23 travellers were killed when the bandits attacked and burnt their vehicle on December 6 in Isa Local Government Area of the state. 
 

You may also like

Read Next

Trending Now

For comments view this content on the regular site.