The Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Abdulwahab Eyitayo, has revealed that more than 8,000 Boko Haram terrorists have so far surrendered to the troops of the Nigerian Army.
According to him, the terrorists surrendered from their enclaves in Sambisa Forest, as well as other hideouts.
The GOC, who is also the Commander, Sector 1, Operation Hadin Kai, disclosed this during a visit by the Director, Army Public Relations, Onyema Nwachukwu, and a team of Defence Correspondents from Abuja on Tuesday, in Maiduguri, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
He said the overwhelming firepower of the troops was responsible for the surrender of the repentant terrorists.
He said, “One of the reasons they are surrendering in droves is the overwhelming firepower from the troops.
”It is because every man’s endeavour is motivated by his family’s wellbeing; that is why they are coming out with their families. We started seeing the signs from June.
“Our intensified operations had blocked their logistics’ routes and supplies, bombardments all over; that is why they started surrendering and diseases have overpowered many of them.
“It was better because in the end, the troops will clear all of them and their sympathisers combined.”
Eyitayo further warned that a time would come that the window of surrender would no longer be available, as he called on terrorist sympathisers to encourage them to come out.
He added that whoever supported the enemies of the state would also be treated as an enemy by the state forces.
The GOC said the military was more determined than ever to deal decisively with the terrorists and their supporters.
Eyitayo further said that the Nigerian Army was responsible for receiving, profiling or screening of the terrorists but noted that they would be handed over to the Borno government for further action.
He explained that a sizeable number of the surrendered, comprised wives and children of the terrorists, as well as those that were forcefully recruited into their folds.