Two unidentified individuals burnt to death in the pipeline explosion in Egbe-Idimu Local Council Development Area were having a spiritual cleansing bath when petrol from the ruptured pipeline went up in flames and consumed them.
A third person, who sustained ‘70 degree’ burns, was rushed to the Igando General hospital.
The pastor, who was conducting the holy bath, abandoned the victims upon sighting the fire, according to a report by PUNCH.
The pipeline was punctured by vandals tapping fuel from the equipment owned by Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.
The fire raised four locations in the area due to the continuous spewing of fuel from the ruptured point.
“Two people were burnt to death, and another victim who sustained 70 degree burns had been taken to Igando General Hospital for treatment,” Nosa Okunbor, the Public Relations Officer for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency said.
“What we gathered from bystanders was that the victims were performing spiritual cleansing when the fire met them there and burnt them but the pastor ran away.
According to LASEMA, rescue operation is still ongoing at the scene of the tragedy.