Dear Mr Babajide Sanwo-olu
The Vision of a working Government via Waste to Energy.
Case Study: Lagos State
Population: 22 million according to the Lagos State Government record.
Size of Proposed Waste-Energy Plant: 100MW, with 100MW redundancy
Cost of plant: $236m (N71bn)
Fuel: Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
Cost of fuel: N0.00
Maximum revenue on transporting MSW to Plant: N96 billion
Expected Generation: 700GWh
Investment Model: PPP
Lagos State Maximum Investment: 20%
Wheeling Method: DISCO via swap agreement.
Projected Duration: 24 months.
Expected revenue annually: $400million
The details available according to Lagos State Government.
According to Lawma Lagos State generate 13,000T /day and 4.75millon T of Municipal Solid waste annually.
Lawma records in 2014 showed that 1.77 million MT was collected and dumped at Landfill sites in Lagos. Lagos has are 3 major landfills and 2 temporary sites.
Technical Details from informed source and verified Project in Africa and other parts of the Globe.
1T of municipal Solid Waste MSW will generate 470kWh of energy.
13000T of Waste will generate 6GWh of electricity/ day. This is equivalent of 254MW of electricity/day running over 24hrs.
5000T of MSW per day will generate 1.92GWh of electricity.
What the proposed 100MW Waste to Energy Plant will add to Lagos Economy.
1. The new energy plant will turn 38% percent which is equivalent to 5000T/day or 1.825 million tonnes per year of the city’s waste into energy.
2. The plant will wheel out 700GWh @ 20% loss of Electricity worth over $110m of Electricity annually.
3. This electricity will light 146,000 households 24/7 using 5000KWh annually which is 3233% more than Nigeria's Energy consumption per capita. This is 2.7% of household in Lagos.
4. 45million bricks worth over $22m will be made from ash annually which is enough to construct 12000 units of 3 bedroom apartment and in 10 years 120, 000 units will be built.
5. From the waste, 150 million litres of clean water will be recovered. These materials will be used to benefit the population of Lagos. The plant will create 100s of jobs for scavengers to earn a decent wage. This is $24.6million using the cost of Bottle water in Nigeria.
6. Through the combustion process, it will also sort valuable and finite metals for recycling over $8million would be added here.
7. The plant will save the ecosystem 6m T of C02 annually which equals 4,500, 000 trees. Saving the city over $75million annually using N5000/tree
8. In 4-7 years the plant would pay itself.
9. Fuel is zero Naira to Lagos
10. Lagos will make a whopping N36.38 billion in revenue by conveying the waste to the Plant.
11. Annually this 100MW waste to energy plant will bring over $400million to Lagos State Economy
In Lagos from 2016 till date, the outgoing Governor Messr Ambode is investing N12 billion worth of diesel on less the 8MW incandescent bulbs fired by diesel generators annually. This should be disconnected immediately.
He signed off N50bn waste management deal with Visionscape which will be N104bn in 7yrs at 17.5% interest rate totalling $380million. Already N27 bn has been redeemed.