The police and members of the vigilante youth group popularly known as Civilian JTF, yesterday confirmed that 11 persons were killed, 13 injured while eight others are still missing in two fresh Boko Haram attacks in Borno State.
The Civilian JTF operatives had on Friday morning recovered nine corpses of rice farmers who were said to have been abducted by Boko Haram militants on Thursday.
Eight other farmers were also reported missing and five more wounded when the insurgents attacked rice farms in Khaddamari and Dusuman communities of Jere Local Government Area of the state.
Elsewhere along the Maiduguri-Mafa way, two suspected female suicide bombers were killed when they detonated the Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strapped to their bodies. Eight other persons, including a personnel of the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) were injured in the incident.
The state police spokesman, DSP Victor Isuku, in a statement he issued in Maiduguri, said, “yesterday (Friday) at about 1738 hours, two female suicide bombers detonated IEDs against a vehicle on a feeder road off Maiduguri/Mafa highway, close to the NDLEA checkpoint on the outskirts of Maiduguri township.
“Only the two bombers died in the explosion, while eight others including a personnel of NDLEA sustained injuries, and are responding to treatment.
“The vehicle, a golf taxi with Reg. No. XA 479 DRZ laden with bags of charcoal with two female passengers and a tricycle (Keke-Napep) close to the scene were affected by the explosion.
“The scene has since been rendered safe by police EOD team and normalcy restored to the area”.
On the rice farm attack, a Civilian JTF member, Ismail Ali, who participated in the operations, said, “so far, we have recovered corpses of farmers abducted on Thursday in different places. Nine bodies were found in bushes around Azaya-Dusuman and Zamarmari areas.
“Five others were injured while some are still missing. As I’m speaking with you, some people are looking for their children”.